Sunday, April 5, 2020

2020 Oooh Dear

This is now about giving me something to do while in lock down and to provide me with my own account on how we are all getting through in our little bit of the world, it will help me to remember and it will help me to continually focus on the important things in life.  So this is my little COVID 19 diary.

One of the Birthday Parties - 
we will be together again!
While I usually write something at the end or beginning of the year about our year what we did, what we are going to do  I didn't this year.  It wasn't that we didn't do anything in 2019, because we did.  We bought a new camper trailer and we went off many times.  We tried to go places we hadn't been before and continued to discover lovely parts of our world here at home, places more isolated than we would normally go.

The after and before of D1s garden - felt exhausted
We made some changes to our Birthdays in 2019, no presents just everyone's presence - going to local pubs and everyone chipping in.  That was fun and it meant we all got together every month or so and went out as a family.  That was a real highlight for me, just happy, fun and loving.

The end of the year got hijacked as Mum (87) fell and broke her knee and that took the best part of the end of the year to get her recuperated.  D1 and boyfriend moved out of our home here and bought their first house - so moving and gardening and fixing bits and pieces rounded out 2019.  Family type stuff which happens.  


Of course we did have our normal mega Christmas - something I am always grateful for having everyone at home but we where less generous on the present giving and more generous with the love and I loved that.


What where we going to do in 2020 - well we did have some plans but as 2019 and 2020 ended and started so bad with drought and fires we sort of just put everything on hold.  Those events seemed so devastating and just felt going away wasn't necessary.  In hindsight I am so glad we made those calls.
We where also planning D1s wedding which was scheduled for the beginning of May, so we had plenty of lovely things going on - you know dress shopping, trial makeups etc.

Fast forward to Feb - we had started to learn of the WuHan Virus now called COVID 19 - like most of these things we are not generally too affected, however I really did start to see the increase and what was happening elsewhere in the world - it was frightening, it was sad and heartbreaking.

By the last week of February I did decide to withdraw my superannuation - I just felt this virus was going to cause havoc - it did and I am glad I withdrew because it gave me more money to look after my family in these times.  In January Woolworths gave emergency service works (which we are) 10% discount so I did a big shop on all the expensive items like cleaning products, loo paper, sanitisers  toiletries etc - that too was a God send, it meant by February I had a good stock of all of these things.  I did at that time also get the girls to begin getting food in case we go into a lock down - now this was well before others where as I said to them just do bigger shops and look for long life stuff you know a Deb, frozen veg, rice, pasta and meat products for the fridge and freezer - just ensure you could survive for 2 or so weeks without needing to go out.  We all did this at the end of Feb including me making sure Mum was well supplied as well - I did put her in lock down at the end of Feb for going out anywhere.  We where lucky because it meant when there where big runs at the shops we where only topping up and being able to keep away entirely while all the panic buying was taking place - that was what I was hoping to achieve, keep us away from crowds.  Being prepared to the best of our ability.

D1s home cooked meal picked up and taken to their home
Now that is social distancing.
Derek and I have been self isolating with the exception of going to the shops and going to Volunteer Marine Rescue each week, we really wanted to stay safe so we can help others including Mum and the community we serve - boaties and boy have they all been out in force.  Shopping now is my main activity as all the kids are working still (and they find it hard to get to the shops while there are stocks) and needing to get Mum stuff and then stuff for us I can shop early 7am and pick things up for everyone and then do the drop offs.  At the moment it keeps me busy and feeling like Mum again.

We are also doing weekend cook ups for pick up by the kids so they can relax a bit and recuperate after what are now very hectic weeks for them, this is been good for me and gives me yet another little activity to do and then they drive by, pick up and we get to see them even if only for 5 mins - all with social distancing of course but it means we are having family meals even if we are not together.  I like it.

I am now getting ready for Easter - there will not be a Julies Yummy Corner this year the first for many years, but there will be a Julies Essential COVID 19 Easter Essentials
Pack being delivered to everyone I have spent the last couple of weeks finding odds and sods as they have been available.  Stay Tuned and Stay at Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment